Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Sock Envy

It's one of those things.... I see popular projects and I think "Why would you make that?" but the more I think about it, the more I want to do it myself. While I thought they were stupid before, I really love my fingerless mitts and plan to make several pair for Christmas. Then there was the whole dishcloth thing... why make something beautiful that's just going to be abused? But then the beauty in the mundane thing came over me and I hope to only use handmade clothes soon- maybe even for cleaning counters and such.

Now it's socks. I actually don't wear socks very often. Most of my shoes are open-toe and the ones that aren't I use no-show socks or stockings. So couple that with the fact that, should I want socks, I can buy a dozen pair for a few bucks.... I just can't see spending the time & energy (not to mention 100% wool sock yarn MONEY) on knitting a pair.

But then I see things like the Duckies and they look so sweet. I remember I had a few pair of really beautiful lacy socks when I was about 7 or 8. I don't know who would have made them- maybe they were something that could be purchased back then. But I don't see socks like that outside of ravelry anymore.

So now I want to make socks. How ridiculous is that? I'm such a fool for peer-crafting-pressure!

No comments: