Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Knit & Crochet Blog Week- Day 1

Missie over at Crafting with Cat Hair is playing catch-up in a blog along this week. I decided to join the party too! :) I'm posting the first three days today and will continue posting throughout the week!



Day 1 - Starting Out
How and when did you begin knitting/crocheting? was it a skill passed down through generations of your family, or something you learned from Knitting For Dummies? What or who made you pick up the needles/hook for the first time? Was it the celebrity knitting ‘trend’ or your great aunt Hilda?

I've mentioned this already, but my maternal grandmother (who I called Nana) taught me to crochet. We had a great relationship. My mom, who was a teacher, knew most of the staff at a school that was a lot closer to Nana's house than ours, so I went there K-4th grade and went over to Nana's pretty much every day after school. I actually have much clearer memories of weekdays at her house than my own.



Nana passed away the summer before my freshman year of high school. If I ever completed a project before she passed, I don't remember it. The skill stuck with me, though. A few years ago I was crocheting a baby blanket while visiting my mom at the hospital. My uncle came in and made a comment that Nana would be really proud watching me crochet something so pretty. I still cry thinking about that. We were so close and I've felt her absence at every major event in my life.

I also always feel a little guilty when I talk about Nana around my sister. My sister is 9 years younger than me, so she was just 5 when Nana passed and barely remembers her. A couple weeks ago my sister was watching me crochet and asked me to teach her. We only sat for a few minutes but she basically got the hang of the single crochet. Then she ran off to party with her friends and I haven't seen my "H" hook or her progress since. I don't want to push her, but I hope she comes back for more. It made me feel like I was giving her some of Nana back.

I've been making baby clothes all week for no good reason. I plan to try and copy this amazing little dress Nana made. I think it's incredible.



Check out all those who posted for knitcroblo1, the first day of Knitting and Crochet week.

No comments: